Notes on using your camera
[ Internal memory and “Memory
Stick Duo” back up
Do not turn off the camera or remove the battery
pack or “Memory Stick Duo” while the access
lamp is lighted, as the internal memory data or
“Memory Stick Duo” data may be destroyed.
Always protect your data by making a back up
[ Notes on recording/playback
• Before you record, make a trial recording to
make sure that the camera is working correctly.
• This camera is neither dust-proof, nor splash-
proof, nor water-proof. Read “Precautions”
(page 31) before operating the camera.
• Be careful not to get the camera wet. Water
entering the inside of the camera may cause
malfunctions which in some cases may not be
• Do not aim the camera at the sun or other bright
light. It may cause the malfunction of your
• Do not use the camera near a location that
generates strong radio waves or emits radiation.
The camera may not be able to record or play
• Using the camera in sandy or dusty locations
may cause malfunctions.
• If moisture condensation occurs, remove it
before using the camera (page 31).
• Do not shake or strike the camera. In addition to
malfunctions and an inability to record images,
this may render the recording medium unusable,
or cause image data breakdown, damage or loss.
• Clean the flash surface before use. The heat of
flash emission may cause dirt on the flash
surface to become discolored or to stick to the
flash surface, resulting in insufficient light
[ Notes on the LCD screen
• The LCD screen is manufactured using
extremely high-precision technology so over
99.99% of the pixels are operational for
effective use. However, there may be some tiny
black points and/or bright points (white, red,
blue or green in color) that constantly appear on
the LCD screen. These points are normal in the
manufacturing process and do not affect the
recording in any way.
• The camera will not function with the lens
portion extended when the battery pack is
discharged. Insert a charged battery pack, then
turn on the camera again.
[ On image data compatibility
• This camera conforms with DCF (Design rule
for Camera File system) universal standard
established by JEITA (Japan Electronics and
Information Technology Industries
• Playback of images recorded with your camera
on other equipment and playback of images
recorded or edited with other equipment on your
camera are not guaranteed.
[ Warning on copyright
Television programs, films, videotapes, and other
materials may be copyrighted. Unauthorized
recording of such materials may be contrary to the
provisions of the copyright laws.
[ No compensation for contents of
The contents of the recording cannot be
compensated for if recording or playback is not
possible due to a malfunction of your camera or
recording media, etc.
[ On illustrations
Illustrations used in this manual are of the DSC-
W55 unless noted otherwise.